| Butter or oil
| Onions, finely chopped
|| 3 medium
|| 6 medium
|| 12 medium
| Asian Home Gourmet Indian Butter Chicken Spice Paste
| Wattie's Tomato Puree
|| 2 x 410g cans
|| ½ x A10 can
|| 1 x A10 can
| Chicken thigh fillets cut into 2cm pieces
| Frozen Flaky puff pastry, thawed
| Egg wash
- Heat butter or oil in a large pan. Add onions and cook over medium heat until they soften. Add Asian Home Gourmet Indian Butter Chicken Spice paste and Wattie’s Tomato Puree and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, cream and chicken thigh meat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 40-45 minutes, until chicken is cooked and sauce thickened. If necessary thicken sauce with a little cornflour made into a paste with cold water. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool completely.
- Roll pastry and line the bases of the pie tins*. Spoon butter chicken into the pastry cases. Roll out remaining pastry to make tops for the pies. Brush pie tops with egg wash. Cut a small steam hole in each of the lids.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pies on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes until pies are golden and cooked. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing from pie tin.
Alternatively the cooked butter chicken can be spooned into deep oven trays. Cover with pastry and bake until pastry is golden and cooked and filling hot (internal temperature for individual and large pies should be >74°C).
- * Disposable individual pie dishes (diameter of base 8cm – ¾ - 1 cup capacity), or metal pie dishes. Depending on the size of the individual pie dishes may result in more or less pies.
- To make egg wash – beat eggs with 1 Tbsp water or milk for each egg used.
- If preparing large pies without a pastry base reduce flaky pastry to 1.5Kg (25 serves), 3Kg (50 serves), 6Kg (100 serves).
- Butter chicken is also great served over rice.
tsp - teaspoon
Tbsp - tablespoon
Kg - kilogram
g - grams
ml - millilitres
L - litre